Monday, June 18, 2007

polyp schmolyp

I had some very very light spotting and at first the OB thought it was a subchorionic hemorrhage (sch). While somewhat common, a SCH does increase the risk of miscarriage so this was really troubling. The OB put me on prometrium (progesterone supplements) to help reinforce the lining of my uterus and that was that.

Then last week I had another spotting incident so I made another appointment.
The nurse gave me a pelvic exam and was surprised and happy to find that I have a cervical polyp. While this in and of itself is not a reason to celebrate, it explains the very light spotting. A polyp may bleed just from talking a brisk walk. They are also very common in pregnancy, they develop due to the increased level of hormones.
Normally they would remove it but since I am pregnant and pregnancy causes the cervix to become very vascular, they decided to leave it in place (so as not to add to my bleeding problem). The nurse also implied that it might just come off if I end up having a vaginal birth - which would be great.


So I guess I'm feeling a lot better about things knowing that this was the source of the bleeding. Hopefully my little bean is doing ok.

No comments: