Tuesday, July 10, 2007

the boob juice chronicles

So I'm planning to exclusively breastfeed for the first 3 months of my baby's life. After that I need to go back to work so I might supplement with formula... we'll see.

But as I truly start considering this concept, the feeling of being totally overwhelmed starts welling up in my chest (haha).

Anyway, a woman's breasts are a much celebrated thing. Though frankly up until now I've not given them much consideration. They aren't particularly large or small. I don't have any weird things going on like a 3rd nipple or areolae the size of saucers. But now I'm sort of fixated on the damn things.

After I take a shower I pause and stare at them in the mirror. I keep wondering how I am going to make the transition from QA engineer with unremarkable boobs to full time milk maid. This is some scary stuff.

The nursing pads, breast pumps, special bras, cracked nips, babies with little sharp teeth.... I get a headache just thinking about it. But then something deep inside me tells me that I'll figure it out... I'll do just fine. I know that I will.

No comments: