Thursday, April 3, 2008

M is for Mountaintop

Greetings. Today marks the 40th anniversary of Dr. King's last speech, what became known as the "Mountaintop" speech. He was in Memphis supporting the garbage workers who were on strike. Dr. King was assassinated the next day on the balcony of his Memphis hotel room.

Had he lived, Dr. King would be 79 today. Seems like he didn't expect to live that long. He closed the speech with:

"Well, I don't know what will happen now; we've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life - longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over, and I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land. And so I'm happy tonight; I'm not worried about anything; I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord."

click here for the complete text of Dr. King's speech. check out NPR coverage here.



1 comment:

Reese McG said...

this gives me chills. wish he hadn't been taken so soon........